Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Aspen

So... this past weekend was full of surprises and complete utter, almost disgusting over-indulgence. The kind that makes you want to sleep... and sleep... and... well... sleep.

I have been to Aspen before, to ski and snowboard. But I had done most of the cooking, so i knew it was good. I didn't realize what a treat I was in for...

The air was scented with Truffles. Really.

First stop was a tapas restaurant named "Social" that was really spectacular. While it was not a tapas restaurant in the traditional sense, as everything was inspired by asia or the tropics, the food was simply delicious. Paired with Taittinger Rose, the meal was almost flawless... well except for the fact that the halibut cheeks came out after the duck confit tacos. And, the best part of the Brut Rose was the fact that our bus boy managed to knock over the ice bucket with the bubbly while we were only 1/2 way through ...thankfully we got a whole new bottle, which we gladly shared with our friendly and exuberant waiter, Ross, when he wasn't busy flirting with the table of 4 women in front of us to the right.

We started with Tuna Poke: buttery fish perfectly coated with sesame.
moved onto a Frisee Salad with Bacon and Curried Cashews
next was Duck Confit Tacos
followed by Halibut Cheeks with Truffle Foam and Ponzu sauce: one cheek was over cooked
then Wagyu Skirt Steak with Nameko Mushrooms and Onion Ring Tempura: F-in' awesome
---I managed to get Ross to order us a side of Brussles Sprouts with Parmesan (and Truffle) to accompany the beef rather than it be a separate "tapa" on its own, which proved harder than necessary but, mission accomplished---
lastly... and mostly... a Dulce de Leche Ice cream with bananas and Fleur de Sel: umm... whoa.

After leaving Social, we climbed to a downstairs cigar bar at Eric's and drank the Oldest Scottish Whisky from Islay, Lagavulin, and smoked a cigar. The music was pumping, the cigars were a-asmokin', and the guy sitting next to us was out of his skull, thinking somehow that I had been snorting coke right there in from of him and was motioning for about 5 minutes for me to offer him some... which in the end turned out, to his dismay, to be a ripped piece of paper on the table next to the cigar ashtray... this was a source of amusement for at least a moment or two.
After cutting the line (the line to get into a dance club, that is) and a few dance moves at The Regal, it was time to retire to the Hotel Lenado... a gem of a place, across a quiet park that seemingly has bears.

Next day started with a trip to the farmer's market, where tidbits and nibbles of local cheese and brownies (interesting combiniation) was followed by Mochas and Lunch at The Wild Fig, a cute bistro with Mediterranean food. Tuna Nicoise and a San Danielle "Panino" coupled with two Chimay Reds was all we needed to prepare us for the Aspen/Snowmass Jazz festival, where Elvis Costello and Black Eyed Peas were paired with Margaritas and Pilsner Urquel... a delightful pairing might I add.
This day was ended with need to fill my belly with more than just alcohol (since we indulged in some Martinis and a cigar in the summer breeze when we got back to the hotel). Off to "Jimmy's" for more drinks and a little food to soak up the day's libations. After getting educated on "Rahquefert" cheese and "New Jersey" oysters, we ordered a side of sinful Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon and Jalepenos. Oh, and some Artichoke and Spinach dip with King Crab...
Like I said before when I began this post... Sleep... sleep....sleep....

I believe there is nothing else like breakfast in bed... and scrambled eggs with the best bacon I have had in as long as I can remember is exactly the way to start out a morning before going river kayaking. Oreo cookies are exactly the way to end it... this adventure proved to be frustrating at some points, but hilarious for most, and the entire day was spent laughing my abdominal muscles into a 6 pack. I am going to record a new exercise video... watch for it in stores and coming netflix soon...

"Ajax Taven", the acclaimed Apres-Ski restaurant at the base of the Gondola at The Little Nell, is anything but a tavern in the traditional sense... it was modern and, again, smelled like truffles, instead of what you would expect a tavern to smell like... old spilled beer, cigars, and whiskey. At least WE smelled like cigars, so there was that to add some nostalgia.

We began with 1/2 dozen pacific oysters... which were Kumamotos, although our waiter said something like Koocha... what it is about serving oysters but not knowing much about them in Aspen? This is beyond me... I find it quite moronic.... in a town where ritz and glamour are #1, waiters should know their shit... but I digress.
Next was a thick and savory Gazpacho with, yes, you guessed it, Alaskan King Crab... I decided to pair this cold delight with a hot plate of Roasted Veal Marrow Bones... I know I used the word sinful about the Mac and Cheese from the previous night... but I reserve the right to insert that word for many guilty pleasures.... and Bone Marrow with a Parsley/Orange Salad is as good a reason as any I can think of. I spread that Marrow on toasted baguette dreaming the words "I can't believe its not butter!" and loudly mumbling "mmmmmm".
Now, when you ask a waiter to split a plate, you are assuming to find a smallish portion of food in front each of each patron. Not so with the Ajax Tavern, who generously and without charge, might I add, split the Forest Mushroom "Kercheif" with Farm Egg into two large bowls, each with its own egg. The savory tomatoes and roasted Mushrooms draped with pasta were only slightly hidden by the perfectly over easy egg that, when broken with the nice heavy silverware we were using, emulsified into the tomato beurre blanc as though it was a river flowing into the sea. While there was not enough pasta to warant being called a "kercheif", this was a fantastically fresh tasting and looking dish. If my Iphone had a flash, i'd post the picture, but as it stands now, I'll leave that one to memory.

Finishing the evening with one more cigar and Lagavullin at Eric's, I would have to say that all in all, 5 pounds heavier and exponentially happier later, Aspen was a treat. In every sense of the word.

1 comment:

JohnnyA said...

Fine. At least you can get good raw oysters. Around here, nobody wants anything raw. So now that I'm craving sinful delights, and am trapped in a culinary void, I'll savor your dinners vicariously. mmmmmmm, oysters. . . .

About Me

My photo
Napa Valley, California, United States
I teach Culinary Arts