Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Testicle Festival




So when a friend invites you for dinner what do you expect? Steak? Casserole of some sort?
Not me.... I expect the best, the weirdest, the most extravegant meal, ever!
(feel the pressure yet?)
Seriously though, I relish in dinner parties with friends... so when Tyler Dubois invited me over for dinner I knew his Chile Rellenos were going to be the bomb. What really brought me there was the opportunity to taste his balls... let me explain.
What I love about Tyler is that he loves food. And not just any old food... He loves the weird shit... the "suck the guts from the crawfish body" and "blood sausage" kind of food only a real foodie could love. So it was to be, this time, testicles.
I have only ever prepared Rocky Mountain Oysters twice before and they were frozen calf's balls, not Bulls balls... they were fried, but crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Such was not the case here with these testy testes.... which, if I had not been there to coax him along through his frustrations, Tyler would have given up.
We began with pictures of the balls pre-fabrication. They looked like brains. And I thought these were no "Schwety Balls". They looked like brains.
But still... I am adventurous, in all senses of the word... and I have eaten brains, so what the hell.
With the big caldron of oil on the stove and the balls all sliced up, Tyler had decided on standard breading procedure to prepare the balls. For those of you who do not know, this is what makes fish sticks and chicken nuggets delectable....flour, egg, breadcrumbs... mmmm... breadcrumbs.
The testes were cut too thick and the panko breadcrumbs were too chunky so breading got dark and the balls coagulated and got tough after heat was applied...served with his amazing COCKtail sauce, they were indeed like chicken nuggets, but not what Tyler was expecting. He was frustrated and gave up... but not I... I was not giving up on his testicles.
Testicles: Take Two:
I gently scored the balls lightly on both sides and opted for the flour-egg-flour breading, lighter in texture and allowed the flavour of the meat to shine through. While much better, I believe originally fabricating thinner slices would have been the way to go.
Moving on from the offals... marinated beets and, then, the piece de resistance...... Chille Relleno with Posole.
The poblano, Tyler assured me, was roasted by a Mexican with a gold tooth in Salida where he bought the balls.... as long as he had a gold tooth, I thought, I felt assured. In Aspen the hatch Green chile roaster was a snowboarding, Keens wearing dude... I didnt buy his chiles.
Inside Tyler's chile was 4 cheeses, bacon, and spices.... it was amazing. And HUGE!
The posole was so tasty, partly which I contributed to the fact that it had been frozen after being made. Time for the flavors to all live together closely and get used to eachother... Bravo Tyler. Bravo.
Lastly we had peach tatins which ended up staying unmolded for the sake of ease, and gourmet ice cream from down the street.
We drank a Cote du Rhone from M. Chapoutier, a biodynamic winery in Hermitage that puts braille on the labels so everyone can enjoy picking and chosing a fine wine. And that it was.
My testical festival was over... and I was full... Thank you Tyler.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Napa Valley, California, United States
I teach Culinary Arts