Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lesson #6: This Coffee Tastes Like $#!% !!!!!!




I don't know about you... but when I wake up in the morning I have no inclination to do anything other than walk straight (or almost so) over to my coffee maker, grind up some glossy, dark, and delicious coffee beans, and wait patiently for my house to fill with the aroma of that liquid gold that starts my day off right..... and when I have been pinching my pennies and decide to buy the coffee that is on sale... I usually regret it...


Never mind that when I wake up in the morning my breath smells like poop... how about a cup of coffee that tastes like it?   Or at least comes from it?   Sounds yummy, no?  


So here is the heaping scoop on that mystical and completely blasphemous (and did I mention ridiculously expensive) Kopi Luwak Coffee.... Straight from the civet-cat's ass....  Looks like a Whatcha-ma-call-it.


I may be wrong... and I know that I sometimes can be.... but does drinking coffee made from beans that have been digested and shit out by a rodent-like cat, then harvested, washed, dried, and roasted to perfection before brewing sound like the epitome of Fair-Trade, Sustainable, and Organic coffee?  at $90 a cup, it better be.


So, why is this fecal matter so special?  Because, supposedly, it's not as bitter as some of the other shitty coffee that is out there.


The civet, cute and furry animal that it is, is only interested in the flesh of the coffee berry, not the bean, which stays fully intact as it travels through the enzyme rich intestinal tract before being pooped out.   
Apparently, this process is SOOOOO highly sought after, it is chemically simulated in some countries.   


But instead of removing flavors, such as acidity, which is what chemically happens inside the civet as it "passes" the coffee, there are "added" flavors to simulate the Kopi Luwak Coffee...  mmmm... added flavors.


I would have loved to have been a part of the study to simulate this "shitty" coffee.


I wish I could say that a cuppa tea would do the trick.



















No comments:

About Me

My photo
Napa Valley, California, United States
I teach Culinary Arts